Saturday, July 24, 2010

You know you live in the country when...

This past week I taught the Bible lesson at our community Vacation Bible School. It was a lot of fun as I got to spend time with some great kids. I had a lot of neat experiences, but one that typifies our area stood out. I was teaching the parable Jesus taught on the sower who sowed his seed and the ability for the seed to grow depended on the type of soil.

I was out on the sidewalk and was using the concrete as an example of the hard soil where nothing could grow. The kids understood and we were having a lot of fun. So, we all agreed that the seed on the concrete would not grow and we also agreed that if we left it there it would be gone by morning. I asked them what would happen to it - who would take it?

I had four groups and every group's first response was the same. They didn't say a bird would eat it or a squirrel or some reasonable animal like that. No. When asked what would take the seed, every group said a bear would come and take it.

We have quite a few bear in our area and the bear probably have messed with these kids' bird feeders so I guess it made sense that a bear would take the seed. I'm not even sure if Jesus saw that one coming. He thought a bird would take it. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Rick! Glad I found your blog. This article is hilarious by the way. Hope things are going well with you and the fam. I hope I get to see you again sometime in the near future. Take care bro.

    ReplyDelete