Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Babe Ruth Original?

So, in preparing for the sermon on Sunday I was looking through some of my old baseball cards. (That statement there should make you a little curious as to what I spoke about.) I came across a set of 6 Babe Ruth cards that I have had since the mid 80's. (I seem to remember purchasing them at a little junk store in Erie) I looked them up on the internet to find out the history of the set and the value. They were a set of cards put out in 1928 by Fro-Joy Ice Cream company during "ice cream week". I have the complete set.

I saw that some of them were selling for $5000 on e-bay. Now, keep in mind that I have 6 of them. That means they could be valued at a whopping $30 Grand.

But here's the problem. There were also many, many, many fakes made of these. And obviously, mine are fakes. They are nice cards and they are pretty old, but they were not made by the Fro-Joy Cone company in 1928. I find mine selling on e-bay for 99 cents. They look very similar to the original. The only major difference is the creator. Who made the cards?

So, it is with people. Because people are made in the image of God, (Gen. 1:26,27; 9:6) we have value. We are the original. We are not cheap imitations. The world is continually bombarding us with the worthless copy idea. Convincing people that they must look and be like everyone else. That is such a lie. The only thing that makes us valuable is our Creator and the only one He wants us to be like is Him.

Please see your value as you are created in His image and as you look at others, see their value too. We are not just copies worth 99 cents. We are the real thing and we are worth Jesus' death on the cross.

2 comments:

  1. Ya know, your blog (and sermon) sound a lot like the blog I wrote when I stole your computer last week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I just told Jim, I was thinking tonight about how cool God is. I think when He's doing things around the world, you see it start popping up all over the place. And I think it's cool that within the last three weeks you, and Jim, and I have all emphasized on the value of an individual. I don't know which one of us had the idea first, or if we all had it all along (possibly the case considering we all care about people and people finding value in Jesus), but we've all emphasized on it in one way or another. And, to my knowledge, it had nothing to do with us talking to each other. I mean, I haven't even been around PF too much lately. My blog came out of a deep conversation I had with a friend who was feeling unwanted and unloved. God is just sooo cool. I just thought it was cool that there was a theme going on. :-)

    ReplyDelete