Monday, August 31, 2009

A fresh beginning



Well, tonight Jim & Jess Baker began their ministry as youth pastor at PF. That means they are now officially running Higher Calling. I am so excited to be partnering with them as they have a genuine call on their lives and they have a fresh vision for the teenagers in our region. I have never been more convinced that Jesus is up to a great thing.

I was at the meeting tonight for the beginning and I introduced Jim and Jess to the kids. Shortly after that I had to leave because tomorrow is Zachary's first day of school. (A topic for another blog). But as I left I had a wonderful feeling. Now, keep in mind that I have been leading Higher Calling since 1994. For anyone who knows anything about youth ministry, that is a long time. But as I left my feeling was so good. This was a very natural thing to happen. It was the right thing to happen. It is all good. It's not even the proverbial "bittersweet" It's really just all good.

Maybe what I am trying to say is that when you know it's of God, You know it's of God and I am very confident that it is, and I am very confident that I needed to not be leading this anymore. Now, that is not to say that I don't love the kids. They mean the world to me and I really look forward to continuing the relationships that I have and to developing new ones.

So, let me encourage all of us to step into the will of God. He takes care of everything and He makes all things the best. And let me just say with complete confidence that the absolute best days for Higher Calling and the youth ministry for this region are not behind us. Indeed they are soon to come. And, oh yeah, welcome aboard Jim and Jess. You two are awesome!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Rick you have indeed stepped into a new chapter of your life as well. I met Jim at my job about a week before their wedding and I believe Higher Calling is really blessed to have him in their corner. It's kind of sad for me that I don't have anymore teens at home to be part of Higher Calling. Blessings to you Rick and to Jim & Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, you and Sandie and the boys have been such a blessing to our family, especially as our boys have been navigating through their "coming of age" years. Nathan, Stephen, Jacob, and now Devone and Tyrel respect you tremendously and value their relationship with you so much. Brian and I feel the same. You have been friend, teacher, and role model for us all. Now that you and your family are moving into a fresh, new season in your lives, our prayer for you all is that God would just bless your socks off!! :-D At the same time, we are SOOO excited about the Higher Calling torch being passed on to "little Jimmy!" (sorry, Jim!) We are looking with GREAT anticipation toward the next of what God is doing through this ministry because the foundation has been laid so well. GOOO Jim & Jess!!

    ReplyDelete