Monday, June 8, 2009

Gotcha Day


Sunday was Jason's 3rd birthday.  What an amazing little guy he is.  I have to be honest that when we knew we were getting our second son, I wondered if I could possibly love the second one as much as I loved Zachary, our oldest.  Well, I guess we have a greater capacity to love than I ever imagined.  

June 7th is a double special day for the Rohlins.  In 2004, that was the day we got Zachary in that hotel lobby in Guatemala.  Most adoptive parents celebrate that as "Gotcha Day"  And then in 2006, Jason was born.

Sunday night as we were putting both boys to bed, we were telling them the story of the day we got each of them.  Zachary loves to hear all about it.  How we were in the lobby when he was handed to us.  Actually, he dove into Sandie's arms.  We finished retelling him the story and then Jason chimes in.  "Tell me about when you got me."  So, we had to tell him about the time in Guatemala and then the snow storm he met when he landed in America.  Finally, we got both of them to settle down and go to bed.

Every kid wants to hear stories about themselves.  And I think it must be extra special for adoptive little guys to hear about their gotcha day.  The day when their forever parents came and got them.  We will rehearse this story with our boys for the rest of our lives.

This has many parallels to the day/time that Jesus came and rescued us and took us to be with Him forever.  When He became our forever parent.  I wonder, though.  We almost always tell our story from our perspective.  What about if we could hear the perspective of God on that day.  Zachary and Jason don't want to tell from their point of view.  They instead want to listen as we tell about all the details that we were involved in. 

Think about what God would tell you as he remembers the day that He got you.  Remember your "Gotcha Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment