Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Swatting at Gnats

Here is an article written by Leslie Ordiway, PF's secretary.

Several weeks ago I received some insight with the help of a dear friend who asked “How are you?”  I answered “Well, I’m a little off kilter today because I read something that was disturbing to me.”  Insightfully, he asked me “Did you have to go out of your way to read this thing, or is it something you had to read for work or family?”  I said “Well, I had to click a few mouse clicks to read it and no, it has nothing to do with my job or home”  “Leslie” my wise friend said “Don’t go there.”  At this point my Holy Spirit sensor got all stirred up and I discerned God saying to me “Remember when you felt that check in your spirit?”   “Yes” I reluctantly answered God, “I didn’t go there at first because I felt that check, but then I went there later:” Then, in my minds eye, I saw a man in a canoe going through some white water.  He was focused in front of him as he maneuvered through a canyon.  Then I saw a swarm of pesky little gnats swarming around his head.  God said,  “Don’t swat at the gnats”  “There is Grace for what you are called to do, there is danger in swatting at gnats.”  “Keep your eyes on me.” 

“OK” I said.  Joy returned to my heart.

What have I learned that I’d like to share?

1.     Listen to God when you have a check in your spirit. 

2.     If God says “Don’t go there” then don’t go there.

3.     Good friends are God sent and God speaks through them. 

4.     Don’t swat at gnats

5.     Keep your eyes on Jesus

1 comment:

  1. Growing up, there was a lot I wasn't allowed to do because my mom had a check in her spirit. I believe it saved me a lot of heartache. And I've come to pay closer attention to the check in my own spirit.

    ReplyDelete