Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What are you sitting on?

We went to Zachary's open house last night at Russell Elementary School where he is a first grader. It was of course a lot of fun and kids have a ball showing their parents and grandparents around the school, showing off their projects and having us meet their teacher.

But here is what I was drawn to. I attended Russell Elementary over 30 years ago. And, can you imagine that they have the same desks today that they did in the 70's. Wow!! I suppose it's possible that Zachary is sitting in a desk that I did. So, it made me think about many things. And many memories flooded my mind. But the big thing that hit me was that the past, present, and the future are very connected. Each generation does not have to start all over from a blank slate. Instead, each generation stands on the previous generation's shoulders. And, if we are wise we will learn from the mistakes and successes of the past and will live better lives - more effectively advancing the Kingdom of God.

Be careful how you live. Look at where you are sitting and remember that others have sat there before you, and others will sit there in the decades to come. Are you learning from the past? Are you living for Jesus in the present? And are you leaving behind a legacy that someone else can follow? You never know who will be sitting in that desk after you. Take care of it and leave them something strong for them to sit on.

I think if they ever get rid of those old desks, I want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment