Monday, May 18, 2009

The Elders Among Us


This week I would like to take some time and look at some of the great, older people in my life.  This was brought to my attention as we were gathered together on Sunday morning.  I was extremely humbled to be prayed for as the Pastor of Praise Fellowship.  Being pastor is truly a remarkable and overwhelming task.  But what made the day so special to me were the two pastors who laid hands on me and prayed for Sandie and me.  Pastor Bill Schneider and Pastor Clifford Hill are two amazing men of God.  Bill is 87 and Cliff is 86.  These are two guys who have “run the race” and they are finishing well.  They have been through a lot - much of it good, but some of it difficult.  These are two guys with completely different backgrounds and completely different ministries over the years.  But God has brought both of them to a church in Russell, PA - truly “for such a time as this”.  I love and respect these two so much and am forever grateful to the Lord for putting great men of God in my life. 

My goal for as long as there are people older than me is to sit at the elders’ feet regularly and learn from the previous generation.  I strongly encourage you to do the same.  Whether it’s a seasoned person in the ministry like Pastors Bill or Cliff.  Or maybe it’s your grandmother or an elderly neighbor.  Whoever it is, may we always be learning and valuing those who have laid the foundation for our life.

1 comment:

  1. Laying on of hands to pass on leadership? Sounds awfully hierarchical for you charismatics.

    ReplyDelete