Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Raising the Flag Since 1946

Yesterday we observed Memorial Day at the Pine Grove Cemetery in Russell by having a very meaningful service.  I have attended the service for many years and it always impacts me as I consider what the previous generations have done and sacrificed so that I/we may have the life that we have today.  

The part of the service that always gets to me is when, during the national anthem, the flag is raised from half mast.  It slowly comes down and then very majestically and triumphantly is raised up high.  As we remember those who have given their lives for our nation, this is a strong reminder that the flag still flies proudly and high.  There is a strong sense of victory as we reflect on death.  Many parallels could easily be drawn to Jesus, His death on the cross, and also the life He calls his followers to.

But the most significant thing about the flag ceremony is John Stanton, one of the guys that helps raise it.  He is 88 years old and a tremendously decorated WWII veteran.  He catches the flag as it is lowered and stands proudly and salutes as it is raised.  Each year I watch his face and am reminded about all that people have given in order to make our country great.  It's moments like these when we can draw from real people and learn history's lessons in a very real way.  You just can't get that in a book.  Zachary, my 6 year old, and I were talking to him afterwards.  I asked him how long he has been doing this.  Get this people - He has been raising this flag at the Memorial Day service since 1946.  That's amazing!!!!   The reason I have Zachary talk to him and pay attention is because in 2046 I want Zachary to be able to remember and tell others about the guy who raised the flag 100 years ago.

Thank you, John Stanton and thank you to all those who have left a great heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment